Development Manager, Corporate Relations
Status: Exempt/Full-Time Year-Round
Reports to: Director of Development (co-managed by the Executive Director)
Supervises: Development Coordinator (co-managed by the Director of Development); Seasonal Development Staff and Interns
Outfest is an LGBTQ+ arts, media, and entertainment 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose programs empower artists, communities, and filmmakers to transform the world through their stories, while also supporting the entire life-cycle of their career. Our programs and digital initiatives include; the Outfest Los Angeles LGBTQ Film Festival, Outfest Fusion QTBIPOC Film Festival, the Outfest Now streaming channel, filmmaker/crew mentorship and education through Outfest Forward, the Outfest Screenwriting Lab, OutSet: The Young Filmmakers Project, the Outfest Anthony Meindl Trans Acting Fellowship, and the Outfest UCLA Legacy Project film archive and restoration program.
Outfest seeks a motivated, energetic, fearless, hands-on Manager of Corporate Relations who is excited by and committed to helping the organization grow and fulfill its mission of creating visibility of diverse LGBTQIA+ stories and empowering storytellers, building empathy to drive meaningful social change.
The Development Manager will lead by example in a fast-paced, mission-driven, and collaborative working environment. The ideal candidate balances the need and relevance of programs with the efficiency of best practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
The Development Manager is responsible for implementing, communicating, and managing Outfest’s corporate relations and sponsorship. The Development Manager is responsible for maintaining and growing relationships with corporate partners, creating sponsor materials and decks, soliciting sponsorships, tracking sponsor deliverables, and reporting. This role works closely with the Director of Development, the Executive Director, and the Outfest Board of Directors to solicit cash and in-kind sponsorships, with a goal of $625,000 in 2021 and significant increases in revenue goals annually. This role is responsible for documenting and tracking sponsorship revenue, deliverables, and reporting in our data management (Salesforce) systems.
During Outfest events, this role works closely with the Development Coordinator and Development Associate to drive corporate engagement, managing sponsorship data tracking for appropriate wrap-reports and sponsor close-out activities. This includes managing the documentation, client expectations and needs (accounting, receipts, reporting, etc.) of all corporate and foundation partners related to the Outfest Fusion QTBIPOC Film Festival, The OutFronts, Outfest Los Angeles, Outfest Forward, the Outfest Legacy Awards and special media-sponsored events.
Specific duties include:
Corporate Relations & Strategic Partnerships
- Research, identify, cultivate, and solicit corporate sponsors & strategic partnerships across all programs in support of Outfest’s mission.
- Coordinate an annual strategy for both new and returning corporate sponsors & strategic partnerships (such as Warner Media, Hyundai, Showtime, OWN, CBS Interactive, etc.)
- Coordinate solicitation and maintenance of trade relationships (in-kind sponsors such as PepsiCo, FotoKem, EFFEN Vodka, Angel City Brewery, etc.) including products and services (ex. beverages, post-house services, festival merchandise) and locations (ex. theatres, reception spaces).
- Maintaining a working knowledge of best practices, significant developments, and trends in corporate brand activations, nationally and to the Los Angeles region, and adapting sponsor and experiential (physical, digital, hybrid) strategies as necessary
- Maintain regular professional communications with corporate sponsors, key donors and members.
- Assist in the solicitation & management of in-kind media publisher and corporate partner items (media and product) to grow Outfest corporate partnership, event & membership revenue.
- Manage timely delivery of corporate sponsorship benefits through the creation of invoices, consistent outreach, and payment receipts.
- Write and update contracts and/or letters of agreement with corporate partners and ensure Outfest's servers are up to date with all documentation.
- Work with the box office and membership team to process sponsor ticket orders.
- Manage the creative (design, pitch, copy, decks, materials, e-mails, database mgmt.) and coordination of partners (vendors, media partners, creative partners, etc).
- Coordinate and input (Salesforce) the entire sales funnel including facilitating and driving team on-boarding.
- Manage the deliverables, receiving (execution) and reporting of all programming supported by sponsorship including the Outfest House at Sundance, Outfest Fusion QTBIPOC Film Festival, Outfronts, Outfest Los Angeles, Screenwriting Lab, OutSet, Outfest UCLA Legacy Project, The Outfest Legacy Awards as well as other special events.
- Responsible for timely and accurate collection and reporting of contributions
- Oversee coordination of the receipt of products and services.
- Coordinate solicitation and maintenance of trade (in-kind) media relationships.
- Write and update contracts and/or letters of agreement with all partners and track individual benefits.
- Manage sponsor database and correspondence.
- Manage seasonal staff responsible for the administration of corporate relations activities and sponsor activations including Development Assistants, interns, and volunteers.
- Create and manage post-event wrap reports for all partners and corporate sponsors.
- Manage other projects and duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Director of Development.
- Coordinate and solicit items for Live Auction at The Outfest Legacy Awards.
- Interface with venues as needed for year-round fundraising events (ex. Major Donor Thank You party).
- Identify studio, agency, human resource, community, professional, educational, and like-minded org partners, and advocates to develop and manage on-site membership drives, presentations and relationship building for funding for Outfest Forward programs (Screenwriting Lab, OutSet, Filmmaker Breakfast Series, InFusion, and more).
- Oversee use and proper management of database and correspondence, including ensuring collection of membership gifts and past due accounts and adhering to federal and state tax laws that may be relevant to major donor gift prospects
- Serve as the on-site liaison between sponsors before, during, & after festivals and events.
- Assist on-site with fundraisers and events prior-to, during, & after festivals and events.
- Help manage marketing for festivals and Outfest Now including asset creation, delivery and performance optimization with partners.
- Attend Board meetings and retreats, as well as monthly Board Development Committee meetings.
- Liaison as a staff representative for a year-round volunteer committee (ex. Emerging Leaders Council, Outfest Women’s Committee).
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated success as a membership and/or hospitality manager (Expertise in loyalty program/campaigns, live events/sponsorships required, experience with corporate sponsors a plus.)
- Proven track record of meeting and/or exceeding annual revenue goals.
- Proven track record of well-honed skills in developing long-term individual and corporate donor cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience supervising, motivating staff, and working directly with senior executives.
- A commitment to Outfest’s mission and an understanding of its programs and their role in the broader LGBTQIA+ movement, and familiarity with, and sensitivity to, diverse issues surrounding the LGBTQ+ community
- Must be able to work independently, self-manage, and take direction from supervisors.
- Strong social skills required
- Must have strong knowledge and skill using MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Google Apps (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, etc), and Mailchimp
- Must have experience working with Mac processors
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated attention to accuracy
- Able to work well in a team environment
- Passion for queer entertainment and interest in festivals and experiential events
- Prior experience supervising volunteers
- Excellent writing and correspondence skills
- Experience in Salesforce/Filemaker/Join It software or similar CRM systems
- Experience with Photoshop and/or Adobe Creative Suite
- Comfortable providing customer service via telephone, email, and in-person
- Ability to travel to attend meetings and events as needed
- Ability to work occasionally on weekends and/or extended workdays
Outfest protects our past, showcases our present and nurtures our future by fostering artistic expression of gender, sexuality and LGBTQ+ culture and its transformative social impact on the world.
Founded by UCLA students in 1982, Outfest is the leading organization that promotes equality by creating, sharing and protecting LGBTQ+ stories on the screen. Outfest builds community by connecting diverse populations to discover, discuss and celebrate stories of LGBTQ+ lives. For nearly four decades, Outfest has showcased thousands of films from around the world to audiences of nearly a million, educated and mentored hundreds of emerging filmmakers and protected more than 30,000 LGBTQ+ films and videos.
Outfest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from all persons regardless of their race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical/physical/mental condition, pregnancy/childbirth and related medical condition, age, marital status, or veteran status.